Friday, April 1, 2011

Cross Cultural Understanding through Letters

Functional Texts
Personal Letters - A Broken Engagement

Dear John,
It’s been a long time since I have written to you, hasn’t it. I’m sorry it has taken me such a long time to write, but I really don’t know where to begin this letter. You see, John, things have been very difficult since you took that job overseas several months ago. It has been very difficult for me to be engaged to somebody who is four thousand miles away, so I have decided that things have got to change.
            I have decided to move out of my parents’ house.
            I’m going to get my own apartment.
            I have started dating other guys.
            I want to break our engagement.
            And I gave your mother back the ring you had given me.
            I’m sorry things have to end this way. You DO understand why I must do this, don’t you?

Sincerely,
Jane


Dear Jane,
            I received your letter today and I couldn’t believe what you had written.
            You haven’t really decided to move out of your parents’ house, have you?
            You aren’t really going to get your own apartment, are you?
            You haven’t really started dating other guys, have you?
            You don’t really want to break our engagement, do you?
            And you didn’t really give my mother back the ring I had given you, did you?
            Please answer me as soon as possible!

                                                                                      Love,
                                                                                      John
P.S. You DO still love me, don’t you?


Dear John,
            I HAVE decided to move out of my parents’ house.
            I AM going to get my own apartment.
            I HAVE started dating other guys.
            I DO want to break our engagement.
            And I DID give your mother back the ring you had given me.
            I know this must hurt, but I DO have to be honest with you, don’t I. I hope that someday you will understand.

                                                                                    Good-bye,
                                                                                    Jane

Answer these questions!
1.    Why did Jane decide to break her engagement to John?
2.    Where has Jane been living?
3.    What had Jane done with the ring that John had given her?
4.    How did John feel when he received Jane’s first letter?
5.    Did Jane realize how John would feel when he received her second letter?
6.    How about if you were John? What would you do?
7.    How about if you were Jane? What would you do?
8.    How about if you were John’s mother? What would you do if Jane gave back the ring?
9.    What culture can you learn from those letters?
10.  What lessons can you learn from the above letters? Explain the lessons by making relationship with asmaul husna!

adopted from Side by Side Book 4; Steven J. Molinsky/Bill Bliss 

4 comments:

  1. My Answer :

    1. Because Jane do not want to have long distance relationship
    2. In her own apartment
    3. back the ring john had given jane.
    4. he couldn't belive it and hurtful.
    5. yes, she did
    6. i would do.... i think it is very difficult but i try to undrestand her. and with strength i believe if i can take it.
    7. i would ... i don't know what will i do if i as jane.
    8. i would pray , hope god give best for john and jane.
    9. be honestly
    10. try respect with decision of the other=> Al-Mu'iz ( while john know what jane write in her letter )
    be patient => As-Sobur ( while john get jane decision )
    wise with our choice => Al- Hakim ( while jane make decision to do with john )

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Because they had a long distance relationship and she will started dating with the other boy.
    2. Jane has been living in their parent's house.
    3. Give John's mother back the ring that John's given.
    4. He didn't believe with Jane's decision and he still didn't understand with Jane decision.
    5. Yes, she did.
    6. Try to understand Jane's decision, maybe Jane's decision is the best for us.
    7. I not easy it to opened my heart to the other boy. I had introspect myself first before I looked up new boyfriend. And I think that engagement is seriously relationship, and I not so easily to make an unilateral decision, I will heard the John argument what the best for us.
    8. Maybe I had been disappointed with Jane's decision, but I haven't rights with their relationship. i just could advise and pray to they.
    9. a. Western people like to tell the truth rather than we lie.
    b. Older boy or girl like living in their own apartment than they must living with their parent forever.
    c. it's okay when the girl break their engagement first.
    10. Better express the truth directly rather than we lie. And please believe that Allah must give THE BEST for creatures.
    The Asmaul Husna is Al-Haqq, As-Sobru and Ar-Rahman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. -she found the other guys
    -she feel very difficult to make their relationship on far distance because of John's new job.
    2. her parents's house.
    3. she gave back the ring to John's mother.
    4. hurt, because he was still love her, and maybe he thought that Jane still love him too, so he didn't believe.
    5. yes, she said " I know this must hurt, but I DO have to be honest with you, don't I? I hope that some day you will understand"
    6. I know that my heart will broke, but I will not let my heart weak, I must be strong, I must try to love her sincerelly. so that, although she left me, I can't hate him (maybe, ameen), because truly love didn't want to get the return. I will know how happy she is, although I know I will lose him, but I can leave him at his happiness.
    7. I would not do that.
    although she tried to tell the truth and be honest, but I thing there is a lot of way to tell it, without make his heart hurter
    8. I will pray for their happiness
    9.tell the truth,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tio Pratama R. K. ( STEVE)April 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

    1. Because jane can't maintain her engaged in long stance.
    2. She has been living in her own appartement
    3. The ring had given to john's mother.
    4. I think he feel starled and unbelieve what jane do.
    5. Yes she did, she know that is hurt
    6. I will talk to jane, and we discuss what do I want? and what does she want? and make solution of the problem and maintain our engagement.
    7. I will say to john if I can't keep our long distance engagement, and make solution without break our engagement.
    8. I accept the ring, and give advise to her in order she wouldn't to break her engagement.
    9. That person was honest. she tells everything honestly. but she doesn't think her engagement seriously.and makes bad solution.
    10. al hakim :
    we have to make dicision wisely
    As shabuur :
    Be patient when we accept life script
    from our god

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

SMA Negeri 1 Purwosari with SOS4Love Project

  SMA Negeri 1 Purwosari with SOS4Love Project 2020 Students' Blogs of 11 IPS 1       Students' Blogs of 11 IPS ...